Feta and Red Onion Cheesecake
- 200g medium or rough oatcakes, finely crushed
- 125g butter, melted
- 280g Philadelphia light cream cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 pack of feta cheese
- 1 jar red onion chutney or marmalade
- 1tbsp chopped chives
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 500g red onions peeled
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Use a 20cm spring form cake tin and grease well. I used an oil spray
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3/170C. Mix together the oatcakes and butter, then press into the cake tin, smoothing the surface with a spoon. Chill for at least 30 minutes . After chilling spread the base with red onion chutney.
- Whisk together soft cheese, about 3\4 of the feta cheese and eggs until smooth, then add the chives, thyme and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour into tin, and scatter over remaining Feta cheese. Place tin onto a baking sheet and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the cheesecake is slightly springy to the touch around the edges, and the centre is wobbly but not liquid. Remove from oven and leave to cool before chilling, preferably overnight to allow the flavours to develop.
- While the cheesecake is baking, place the red onions, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil into an oven proof dish and cook at the top of the oven for about 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and golden. Cool and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the inside of the cake tin, before removing the cheesecake from the tin. Transfer to a serving plate, carefully removing the baking parchment. Top with red onions and any cooking juices. ENJOY !